Random thoughts and daily events of a writer in training.

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

How To Get Inspiration

One easy way is to read through all the websites and magazines you've been hunting around for to send short stories to and hopefully get paid by. It's sounds dumb t first, but I find it almost easier to get new ideas for stories by finding out how long of a story and what kind of story the places I'm hunting around in are looking for. 3000 words, something about ghosts but no erotica allowed, gotcha. Sci-fi but with a horror angle, I can do it.

Now, of course I'm always writing down one thing or another on napkins and pieces of paper when I get an idea for something. They are always just coming in and out of my mind. But, it's fun to scour through what a certain mag might be looking for at the moment to see what's out there and what they want.

Was reading some letter of Kerouac's this morning and man, was that guy arrogant. I mean, you have to believe in your writing, but he really thought he was something else, at least early on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave me a message.